What type of people were they?
What does that tell us about the type of person God chooses today?
When I ask you to picture the disciples…which name is the first to come to your mind.
Andrew is not the name that is thought of first. He is not the most famous. The most recognized. But he was the first disciple chosen by Jesus.
- What type of Person was he?
- His name in Greek literally means “Manly!
- He was very ordinary. What is Andrew most famous for? His brother.
- He is only mentioned by name in 12 times in the Bible, and some of those are just the lists of disciples, he is referred to in only four main occurrences throughout all four gospels.
- His heart was soft and mold-able. Luke 3:15-16,18
- Andrew didn’t become rigid, or comfortable in his faith. He listened to John the Baptist’s teaching. His heart was responsive.
Are you the type of person Jesus chooses?
Ordinary people who have hearts which are mold-able
AND open to Him.
A heart that would pray like Psalm 26:2-3, “Test me, O LORD, and try me, examine my heart and my mind; for your love is ever before me, and I walk continually in your truth.”
2. What type of encounter did Andrew have?
Andrew has a fresh encounter with Jesus because of John the Baptists sending him!
And when Andrew heard the voice of Jesus saying, “Come with me, and you will see what you are seeking…” Andrew went”…Andrew “followed.”
Jeremiah 29:12-13,” Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.”
3. What type of influence did Andrew have?
Think of all the influence and impact of the life of Peter.
All of that was made possible because of the influence of Peter’s brother Andrew.
Notice how he is referred to “Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother”.
It is Andrew who brings the boy to Jesus.
Notice that Philip doesn’t know what to do. And who does he go to in that moment: Peter, James or John? No Andrew. And once again Andrew brings them to Jesus.
Jesus is looking for Apprentices (Disciples) who will bring his children to Him!
This was the type of influence Andrew had.
And this is the type of influence you can have.
All you need to do is spend time with Jesus and tell somebody about what you experience.