“Why do we need the Holy Spirit?”
John 16:7, 13-15
The Holy Spirit doesn't produce "fits," He produces beautiful, Spirit-filled, Spirit-controlled lives.
The PERSON of the Spirit
Jesus' teaching about the Holy Spirit.
- Jesus always used the personal pronoun in referring to the Spirit.
- Nine times in John 16:7-15, "He" or "Him" is used.
What the Holy Spirit is NOT?
- He is NOT a thing or an object.
- He is NOT merely the divine life within us.
- He is NOT merely an impersonal "power" from God at work in us.
What the Holy Spirit IS -- He is a Person!
- He has a mind. (Rom. 8:27, John 14:26)
- He has emotions (Eph. 4:30, Gal 5:22-23)
- He has a will. (Acts 16:6, John 16:13)
The POSITION of the Spirit
- More than a human personality, He is a divine Person, part of the Holy Trinity.
- All the characteristics of God, are also those of the Holy Spirit.
Two verses where all three Persons of the Trinity are mentioned.
Matthew 28:19, “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
2 Corinthians 13:14, “May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
The PRESENCE of the Spirit
- All that Jesus did FOR man, the Holy Spirit now does IN man.
- It is His Presence that transforms the Church from simply a stale organization into a living, growing, spiritual body.
Let us open every area of our lives to the Holy Spirit, so that our every conduct
will be worthy of the name we carry -- "Christian."