2 Corinthians 10:12
“Oh, don’t worry, I wouldn’t dare say that I am as wonderful as these other men who tell you how good they are! Their trouble is that they are only comparing themselves with each other and measuring themselves against their own little ideas. What stupidity!”
Self-Examination: Where am I in the Trap?
- Abilities – Do I ever feel jealous around people who are more talented than I? (I Samuel 18:5-9)
**Comparing your abilities: Causes Jealousy!
- Appearance – Do I ever wish that I looked like somebody else? (I Samuel 16:7)
**Comparing your appearance: Causes Inferiority!
- Possessions – Do I secretly envy my friends who have more than I do? (Hebrews13:5-6)
**Comparing your possessions: Causes envy!
- Troubles – Do I ever use the phrase, “but it’s just not fair.” (Psalm 73)
**Comparing your troubles: Causes self –pity and resentment!
- Achievements – Do I allow other people to determine the goals of my life? (Job 21:27)
**Comparing your achievements: Causes anxiety and pressure!
The Four step antidote to the Trap of Comparison
- Realize that you are one of a kind! (Psalm 139:13-14)
- Declare your own Declaration of Independence (Romans 12:2)
- Don’t force Others into a comparison (Luke 6:31)
- Evaluate yourself by God’s standards, NOT other people! (Galatians 6:3-4)
Success in life is not…
A matter of being inferior or superior.
It’s not a matter of beating others out.
It’s simply becoming exactly what God wants you to be!
WE all know He calls you and me to Follow him by Being a Blessing people!