Two Major Events:
- The Triumphal Entry of Jesus. (1-11)
- Jesus cleanses the Temple (12-17)
Three Spiritual Lessons to Understand and Apply
1. It is a People Confrontation.
“The whole city was stirred.” - This is the same Greek word Matthew used to describe the earthquake when Jesus died (27:51)
2. It is a Prophetic Confrontation.
“Your king comes, he is one of you (21:4-5) – A quote from Zechariah 9:9 550 years before it happened.
3. It is a Spiritual Confrontation.
- The spirit of “self-centeredness raised its ugly head in the religious leaders of Jesus day.
“If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.” (Luke 9:23)
Jesus cleanses the temple to re-establish it as the center of genuine worship…
And religion as a matter of the heart!
Matthew 21:15, “when the chief priest and teachers of the law saw the wonderful things he did and the children shouting in the temple area, “Hosanna to the Son of David” they were indignant.”
How do I Celebrate life?
He brings redemption.
He re-establishes true religion as a religion of the cleansed heart!
So that a person…
In their church,
In their family,
In their community.
They are different!
Jesus has come, to the center of it all and cleaned house.
He has come to the Heart!