In the BEGINNING was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word WAS God - before it places him in history: and the Word was made FLESH and dwelt among us.
What do we learn about Jesus?
- He is the Lamb of God
- He takes away the sins of the world
- He is greater than John, though he comes after him
- He is revealed to Israel
- He has the Spirit of God descend upon him
- He will baptize with the Spirit
- He is God’s Son
This journey with Jesus is a two-sided affair that involves our looking, our following, our responding and our inviting - as we see soon with Philip inviting Nathanael to “come and see.”
What the Bible means by Lordship
- Proper name for God in Genesis is “El Shaddai”
- In Exodus 3:14-15 God revealed more of himself to his children and said He is “I am” (YHWH)
“You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.” Exodus 20:7
- Because of this the Hebrew people would use the word “Adonai” which signified His Lordship over all.
Is Jesus, “My Lord and My God” of your life as Thomas said in John 20:28
Examples of Men who made God Lord of their lives:
Moses – Exodus 3:14-15, 6:2-8
Abraham – Genesis 12:1-3, 17:1-6
King Saul - 1 Samuel 10-31
King David – I Samuel 16 – I Kings 2:11
Elijah – I Kings 18:16 – 46
Examples of Women who made God Lord of their lives:
Rahab – Joshua 2:1-24
Ruth – Ruth 1:4
Tamar – Genesis 38
Bathsheba – 2 Samuel 11-12
We learn amazing things about God just by looking at His name and how He revealed himself to them.
God gives us details to the mistakes and successes of those who made Him Lord of their lives
so that we would learn from them as we make Him Lord of our lives today!