I HAVE A FRIEND WHO… “Minimizes Women’s Roles”
How Were Women Viewed in Jesus Day?
Male orthodox Jews began each morning with a series of prayers. The prayer says: Praised are You, O’ Lord our god, King of the Universe, who has not made me a woman.”
This is the world in which Jesus lived in, but his attitude toward women was REVOLUTIONARY!
WHAT DOES THE BIBLE REVEAL?
Truth about Jesus and women…
Ø Genealogy of Jesus - Matthew 1
4 women mentioned who are in the kingly line of Jesus. (5 if you count Mary, his mother)
Ø Women were on his ministry team. Lk. 8:1-3
Ø Jesus had women disciples. Mt. 12:46, Lk. 10:38
Ø Women were serving in Ministry Roles. Lk. 2:36
Ø Women were examples of great faith.
Mt. 15:21-28, Mk. 5:24-34, 12:41-44
Ø Women who were outcast were honored by Jesus. Jn. 4
Ø Women were the first witnesses to His Resurrection.
IN WHAT WAYS MAY WE BE REINFORCING THE UNBIBLICAL VIEW OF WOMEN?
It has been said, “The Bible says it and that settles it…
I Timothy 2:12, “I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.”
Mt 5:29, “If a right eye sins, gouge it out…”
WHAT MUST WE DO!
· The Bible must be read in context if we hope to apply it properly.
· We must look at the larger portion of the Bible to understand it completely.
· Look for underlying principles we can apply in our context or culture.
· Look at the Bible entirely to see how other passages dealt with issues.
I Cor. 16:19, Romans 16:1, Rom 16:7, Phil. 4:2-3
(Priscilla, Phoebe, Junias, Euodia & Syntyche)
HOW WE RESPOND TO OUR WORLD…
· Read the Bible daily.
· Read books on how to read the Bible.
· Join a small group & study the Bible.
(Sunday school class, Life Group)
· Teach a small group.
· Be a disciple of Jesus