The Road to Recovery: “LETTING GO”
"Come to me all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me...For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Mt 11:28-30)
Realize I'm not God; I admit I'm powerless to control my tendency to do the wrong thing and my life is unmanageable.
Earnestly believe that God exists, that I matter to him, and that He has the power to help me recover.
Consciously choose to commit all my life and will to Christ’s care and control.
WHAT KEEPS ME FROM TAKING THIS STEP?
- Pride: I don't want to admit I need help.
“The self-sufficient fool falls flat on his face” (Proverbs 10:8. LB)
- Guilt: I'm ashamed to ask God for help.
- Fear: I'm afraid of what I'd have to give up.
- Worry: I confuse the decision phase with the problem-solving phase
HOW DO I TAKE THIS STEP?
- I accept God’s Son as my Savior
- I accept God’s Word as my Standard
(2 Timothy 3:16, LB)
- I accept God’s Will as my Strategy
“Understand what the Lord’s will is...be filled with the Holy Spirit” (Ephesians 5:17-18)
Luke 16: 19-30 The Parable of the Rich man and Lazarus
Luke 16: 31 “But Abraham said, ‘If they won’t listen to Moses and the prophets,
they won’t be persuaded even if someone rises from the dead.”