Many Jews held a belief in the someday resurrection of the dead.
- We hold this belief of someday as well.
The Jews would have also been familiar
with a system of family apprenticeship.
- Verses 19–21- The son is not working outside the will of the Father but is working as the Father works.
- Verse 21 - explicitly points to Jesus doing the work of resurrection because he is doing the work of his Father
While Jesus talks about the future to come, he also speaks of a present resurrection that he is bringing.
- Resurrection is not only something that happens in the future but is also happening now.
This is a statement of the already/not yet kingdom of God.
- Just as Jesus was following the way of God and beginning the work of God in the world, we are to follow in the same way.
Are we living like people of the resurrection now, or are we only longing for the coming of God in the future?
- We are all people of the resurrection, called out of darkness and death into abundant life.
The work Jesus began is still at work in the world. Thanks be to God!